Hi Ron,

Hope this helps, and feel free to send me an email to chat further if you feel the need...

Quote:
What he is concerned with at this early point is whether the total/final cost of the house will fit within his budget parameters.

He (as any client) should be concerned with this. This is the "meat and potatoes" of a skilled "design/build" companies offerings as a project facilitator, whether an individual like yourself, or a group.

Every item of the project "should be" examined, discussed, and considered as an individual element and then as an "item in context" and how it will work in the collective and/or concert of the architecture.

Any (most?) of these items should be "bid" or "priced out" to find the best value as compared to "from, functions and durability," when possible and applicable.

For an example, we have a large project in Wisconsin taking place...as such we are in "ramp up" mood for the project so everything from hardware to plinth stone supplies are being bid out and/or examined.

When taking on the entire facilitation management aspects of a project (even traditional/natural building projects like timber frames)every detail must be examined and charted for not only comparatives in value to cost, but other factors as well...including client desires and views as they may affect the fiscal parameters of the project and its asset resources both monetary and/or physical.

Quote:
The uncertainty revolves around the structural timber frame drawings being produced by my guy, and the architectural drawings being produced by an unknown at this time (who may or may not be familiar with timber frame construction), and what the correct sequence should be regarding the clients financial commitment.

Yikes! O.K..Here is where it can get a bit "sticky" and reflects some of the many issues we are seeing in the "design/build" arena...

Many General Contractors, Timber Framers, and other in the building field..."think"...they can design and don't need an Architect.

Well...some of them actually can...some REALLY CAN'T!!! and only think they can...and the wisdom comes in knowing the difference. It sounds funny and perhaps coy...but it is true...

All I can share in this area is from my experience which may be (and certainly probably is) different from others; please choose your designer or Architect wisely...They should fit like tailor clothing and give the project the feeling the client and build team wishes...

I am a designer with a strong background in art, and design so I tend to be a real snob when it comes to architecture (and Architects.) Some I absolutely love, few as dear friends and most I think are in the "wrong profession." I agree with Frank Gehry views of this:

98% of modern architecture as “crap."

With that stated I am a real picking individual when it comes to spending the "fiscal assets" of a project on an "Architect that isn't needed."

So if an "architect" is needed, wanted, and/or already part of a project then they need to know what a timber frame is and have better worked with them before (and done it very well!!!) to ever be considered for a project...Snobby, but it makes for a better outcome.

Second, get bids and proposals form the Architects or Designers. This is called the process of RFP (Request for Proposals) and should come with a solid "ball park" price. Don't let anyone calling themselves a "professional" give you any kind of nebulous "hourly fee" for their work unless it is truly a nebulous consulting project. Seldom are basic "home builds" nebulous in nature...

The client's "Fiscal obligation" (aka financial commitment) does not start until all parties (Timberwright and build team included) is satisfied and there is a solid and well written contract outlining all parameters of design services and "change order" fee structures outlined. This can be as simple or as complex as needed, though it can and should be pretty simple for most "domestic timber frame" home builds.

We work our design fees (as we are usually the Timberwrights as well cutting the frame) as part of a percentage of final "turn key" cost/value for a project in the range of 4% to 8% and can go as high as 12% for more demanding venue/projects. On some project the "design fees" are waived completely and/or rolled into the "administrative fees" for facilitating the entire project. It all depends of the "team assembled."

Quote:
Can/should the client’s first financial commitment be to the finalized design and engineering of the structural framework, without him having a complete set of architectural drawings in hand?

NO!!!

We are not even close to that, even though some Architects and/or General Contracting Design/build firms "push to contract" just to secure work and often a "bad design" to go with it.

Find who you "think" you may want to work with as a designer; let them give you (and client) their "pitch", and request an RFP model of what they are thinking of after meeting or talking with your assemble team and client. Vet them and discuss "how you feel" about working with them and if this Architect or Designer is "getting it."

I am presuming, at this point, you are acting as "primary facilitator" for the project and will also be cutting the frame as well. So, as facilitator you are doing the "leg work" of helping the client find and choose your Architect or Designer. This can be as simple as a web search, knocking on doors, or following leads from referenced sources.

Once all parties "feel right" about the choice, a contract (with complete costs) can be submitted to you for the project.

Quote:
And, since architectural drawings will yield the info he needs in order to obtain accurate GC bids on final project cost, permits, etc, how does the client make a financial commitment with an architect without plans for a finalized and engineered timber framework in hand first?

O.k..we are getting the "cart before the horse," perhaps...

I have another project after the one in Wisconsin, and it is here in Vermont for a client that wants an "all natural/sustainable build" from a "stone foundation" to "ridge beam."

As of a month ago, they were actually going to be "breaking ground" for a concrete basement and attached slab when they (in desperation) sent me an email after reading some posts/articles I have written online about natural building, timber framing and aspects related to this very topic. At the end of our first meeting I explained to them that "they are in charge"..NOT..their General Contractor or Architect. (The Architect is gone now and the GC will probably play a much smaller role.)

The client needs to (usually??)..."SLOW DOWN"...on most projects. They get really excited and things start to happen and everything gets rushed. This really takes place when "modern" General Contractors and Banks get involved because...for them..."speed" and the amount of money the "can make" (and do) is the most import thing over every other aspect of a project and its architectural form...It is the primary reason we have the "banking issues" we do and one of the reasons our countries infrastructure is falling apart.

A basic "foot print" and square metre (your square foot) price of a frame is more than enough on most "domestic" projects to get in the 95% range (85% at worse) of total cost. You as the primary facilitator can work up all these numbers from wire and windows to plaster and tile...One of the primary ways for any client to "vet out" a design build firm (or individual) to oversee their project is how good a handle they have on "costs" of everything from stone to timber frames per a set metric be it a square foot or cubic meter. One of the main reasons I get "consultations" and projects is the ability to "off the cuff" share esoteric pricing matrix like the natural average for architectural stone below "monument grade" is around $25/cubic foot for the raw stone, but can be lower if the quarry is near the build site. This type of broad and variable understanding of building materials is a real must for anyone considering overseeing/facilitating the "turn keying" of a project. Good Architects and Designers have this type of knowledge base to pull from to support good fiscal management of a project. Its all about not only having the "right answers" but also being able to "ask the correct questions," when facilitating the complete aspects of a projects...especially many of the contemporary "natural" or sustainable "green building" that often have "timber frame bones" in them.

Quote:
So…what step should come first?

Well you have a client...I assume there is a "project site" (and its views and opinions need to be included in this...The "land" does have a voice in all this and it is a big one!!)...You are the "Project Facilitator" (or plan to be) so you need to assemble a "build team" and manage them....(Think..."hurd cats,"... wink )

So...first step...assemble team...

Quote:
I’m wondering if I’m making this more complicated than need be, by not choosing just one company/individual that can address timber frame design, engineering and architectural detailing in one financial commitment for the client?

No, you are not making this more complicated...

Just "going out and hiring someone" is not the answer either. Shop, compare, think about it, talk it over with the client, and compare some more...make a "good choice" not just a "fast and convenient choice."

If new to this...it is complicated...If you are familiar with it...well...it is rather simple and can even be looked at as easy and fun...It is a matter of perspective and experience. Some days I just "freak out" at all the details that must be dealt with while on other days I realize the "we" (as humans) often over complicated things way more than they need to be and this often comes from greed, personal agendas, and or "not really knowing what the heck we are doing..."

So just relax and take a breath...you have done more than most..."You" at least were smart/wise enough to ask the questions...This was a good place to ask.

Regards,

j

P.s. Sorry for any "typos" I had a cup of coffee for my morning break and I type over one hundred words a minute and now the coffee is GONE!!! eek cry crazy
>>>