Hello all,
I'm excited to have joined the forum, and very much like the idea of building my own home. I imagine the majority of the timbers will be 8"x8" with some 10"x10" where needed. I have three years experience building timber frame gazebos where all joints are dove tailed using a router and two guides. I am anxious to begin practicing mortise and tenons, and am researching tools to buy. I am hoping for some feedback to the following questions.
1. I have little to no experience with a chisel and plan on beginning with a 1.5". What length handle do your recommend?
2. What brands should I be looking at?
3. Are there any other chisels you would recommend for making a proper mortise?
4. What about brands of leather mallet? If I were to have only one, what weight should I get.
5. I think I would like to get a chain mortiser. Have you any arguments against the idea, and/or is there a model you would recommend?
6. At work I've been using a LignaTool guide with a Stihl electric chainsaw. It makes for fast, easy, and accurate cuts, but the kit is pretty expensive. Since I will need a circular saw for making tenons, I'm thinking I will just get around a 16" and use it to sure up ends and cut timbers to length. If I were to just buy one, and I will be cutting up to 10", what size should I get and with what sort of blade? What brands should I be looking at?
7. If I were to have only one manual plane, which style and size should I get. What brands should I be looking at.
8. The same questions for if I were to have a second?
9. Aside from measuring and marking equipment, is/are there any other tool/tools you would highly suggest I start off with?

With all tools I am looking for quality at a fair price, and would appreciate any suggestions as to how to come by them on the cheap. and any insight on judging the quality of a used tool.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and respond.