As a carpenter I look at wood with my eyes and identify characteristics by what I see, The wood researchers use the instruments of science to see what happens at the cellular and chemical levels. The researchers say that the warping from weathering has less to do with grain orientation and more with differential wetting and drying and the resulting cellular compression and collapse which produces the familiar compression set in weathered wood. So the more I read about wood usage issues, I am certain that any choice to be made is more like a balancing act than a clearly superior choice based on what I can see.

About twenty years ago I was tasked with trouble shooting a very leaky 40 square shake roof about 7 years into service on a contemporary post and beam house, open to the roof. "Nail base insulated panels" homasote and urethane-like foam laminated panel, were nailed to a t&g roof deck. The shakes were 24 inch with about 10 inch to the weather. A split roll, 18 inches wide, 30 lb felt was laid over every shingle course. The shingles were very badly curled, the nails were pulling out of the homasote and the felt was torn. The felt and shingle interlace may by used by some roofers or builders over plywood and panels, avoid it.