hello everyone tonight

Sorry I had to go so quickly last night but anyway I will try and carry on some of the technical issues associated with this unit

Now we have the guide block sitting in its proper position but there is one issue left to review and that is how the guide block is contained there

well it is simple but maybe not so simple, nothing about these old mills are really simple, but appear that way to an untrained eye

So here goes---securing the guide block in its position firmly but not too firmly to create friction problems--this is how it is done

In front of the unit wooden guides are created, (1) on each side

These guides are about 6" wide fairly thick 3" and are made of white oak and are 3" longer than the stroke of the offset crank which is 18", making them 24" in total length

Now these bear against the front edge of the wear strips, and are also sheathed with a metal plate, right where the wear strips work

Here is where the fun begins, they have to be suspended there securely, and be able to be adjusted up against the wear strips in increments that approaches only enough room for a light coating of lubricant--

well here is how that was accomplished

Lets create a few short forms to identify parts

"Wear Strip Guides" will now be identified by "WSG" which will separate them from other guides and strips associated with this whole unit--I hope that you are following me--

"Wear Strip Guide Supports" will now be "WSGS" --these are very unusual shaped individual units--for tomorrows discussion

hope you are enjoying this conversation and maybe be alittle in awe of the old millwright's book of technical tricks

NH

Last edited by northern hewer; 12/19/15 03:04 AM.