Speaking to what Brad was outlining, I would absolutely agree that no TF work should start before there are finished project plans. I also feel personally that I have a responsibility to the customer to do my due diligence to ensure that the project is feasible within the customers budget. Many times it is our responsibility to slow a customer down and force them to get their ducks in a row. I have no idea on Brad's specific circumstances, but I think it shows how fraught the relationship in a construction project can be.
Right now I am talking to a customer who is in a big rush to get rolling with the frame, get the contract together, and give me lots of money! I've had to slow them WAY down, put them on a reasonable timeline and told them that we are nowhere near ready for them to be cutting me big checks.
When it comes down to it, when we build something for someone, we are custodians of there hopes, dreams, and money! People usually have a lot wrapped up into what they build both emotionally and financially, but many times are ill equipped to make fully informed decisions on how to bring it to fruition. It's our first responsibility to protect the customer, even from ourselves!