Quote:
I still see no way a frame could be priced on square footage.

I can respect that, and nothing wrong with not understanding something yet...

It doesn't change the fact that it can and was done historically in several of the modalities I have shared From House Wright to Barn Wright and beyond. Volume and area pricing metrics (or other "by the job") methods of relay "cost" to a potential consumer is nothing new and a standard practice among many.

Quote:
Adding the cost of the frame to the whole package can be equated to square footage, lets not put the cart before the horse. figure the whole project then put a square foot price to it.

No carts before any horses here... wink

but there is a error in definitional understanding in this dialogue of trying to compare "apples to oranges," I do believe. That could be what is confusing?

When a potential client asks me about "how much do you think my...timber frame....will cost?"...(That is an apple) I can, with just basic information, give them a "ball park" price on average for others, and an "exact one" for what myself and colleagues would cut it for...

The second half of the above comment..."figure the whole project"...in the architectural world is called your "turn key" price and that is another metric entirely!! (That is an orange) Its metric for domestic architecture start at (averages again) $90/ft2 for "prefab homes" and rises to over $450/ft2 for custom built homes and is not as simple a number to arrive at without a bit more information from the consumer seeking such assistance...
Quote:

I have never worked in an "apprentice" system, btw.

That is a common theme today...and why there is many "holes" in the overall knowledge base of many of our guild crafts in general. Many have had to "teach themselves" at least 50% or more of what they know about a craft...In this case timber framing...

We haven't been afforded the opportunity of learning directly from a collective "deep well" of knowledge holders, or supported such practices once "big industry" stepped in to control the details...I should add thought the TFG has done (and is doing) a remarkable job of trying to coalesce this type of knowledge for timber framing as reflected in a venue like this forum as just one example...

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 02/06/16 12:50 PM.