Hi David,

Quote:
Note that I'm looking at entire enclosure methods, not simply materials that make up a part of the process.

'Traditional' or 'Natural' Enclosure methods:

Straw Bale
Cobb/brick/wattle-and-daub or other infill (exposed timber inside and out) methods
Just nail some boards to it and call it a day.

Modern or Industrial

SIPs
Wrap and Strap
Larsen Truss
'Exo-framed'

things like that.

Sorry, this is your thread and you take it wherever you like...I think I listed actual "'Traditional' or 'Natural' Enclosure methods:" already and you have repeated some of them hear again.

I will do my best to address/comment on direct questions then...

Quote:
Have you ever run cost analyses of your systems in comparison to others...

Yes I have, much of it in the material science literature...

Go to LinkedIn and join some of the professional groups that deal with this if you can, or do PDF searches for published works in this area...

Quote:
I've always kind of viewed wrap and strap as SIP's unaccomplished little brother.

Agreed...they are the same, and the "little brother" is actually the better of the two methods in most facilitations...IF...you support the "airtight" house concept, and employ foams for your insulation medium.

SB (aka strawbale) is a "warp and strap" method in many of its iteration...

Quote:
Most of my efforts have been focused on ways to refine the concept of exo-framing (if there's a better term, please tell me)...
It is bothersome for me to have redundancy in my projects...I've worked on systems relating to wrap and strap, exo-framing, and infill-framing, which leaves only a portion of the framing exposed on the interior.

"Exo-Framing" is as good as any David. I rather like the term, and have read others that used before this to describe any system that not only provides a "thermal diaphragm" for wall and roof, but a method for running wiring and other mechanicals effectively. Wall trusses (aka what some have called Larsen) have been around since the turn of the century in many different forms. It is the system I use and promote, and as far as I know mine (and one manufacture in Germany) are the only "all wood joinery" wall truss systems in use today. They average, at minumum 250mm thick, and go up to 1 metre thick at the largest now in design application. They can rest on a sill or can form a "hung wall" where they are suspended from the rafter tails or the "roof truss" system if one is employed. They also provide easy facilitation for "rainscreen and cold roof" systems which are paramount for longevity in most natural materials.

As for insulation, if I use anything that could be called modern, it would be mineral wool batt or board, and not plastic house wraps or other "retarders" to good permeability and moisture escape from the interstitial zones of "super insulated" structures...

Regards,

j