Hi Tim,

Quote:
Pricing out a frame project without the timber figured into it and then hitting the price at 70-80% accuracy within 3 minutes is not a price quote but an estimate.

Yep, I would agree with that...no doubt. My figure is an "estimate" as you have kindly provided the definition links for...

Quote:
Now, to quote a price is different than an estimate.

Agree again we do... grin

Quote:
I have picked up the term "quote" and use it. When I put out a price quote it is the final number it includes, delivery and raising of my product and the timber. In twenty+ years I have had only one small frame leave my shop that I didn't put up.

Excellent!!

I think it is very important (and helpful...thanks Tim) that folks not confuse an estimate from a quote, and where these can and should lead for a potential customer...

Quote:
So we can be on the same page, often people use a term with a different meaning than what another may use.

Yes, they do indeed, and it is often the poor consumer that gets terribly confused by it all if these things are not clarified "up front!!"

I would only add that when an experienced Timberwright is going through the "estimation" process with a consumer...the final quote numbers are little different from the estimates themselves for each item, which is a clear indicator the Craftsperson offering them knows what they are doing...

Cheers,

j

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 02/08/16 01:00 AM.