hello everyone tonight

here is the best explanation I can give hope you can follow along--

viewing the turbine from the side opposite the crank as it is running counter clockwise, you will notice that the pitman on the down stroke pulls the guide block back against the metal guides set solidly in the vertical supporting timbers, giving the guide block good solid and steady support

As the turbine rotates on the up stoke, the pushing force is on the set up that contains the guide block in its channel, really not designed for anything else

So lets review things under actual working conditions--

Say we are into a heavy cut, slowly working through a 36" cut in a pine, the mill and its equipment is straining to move the blade downwards on the cut, the mill is up to working speed of 100rpm's, full water flow through the turbine (about 2000 gallons a minute)

as the pitman moves down at this speed, along with the kinetic energy of the weight of the blade, pitman, the two spinning cast collars each weighing approx. 90 lbs. the weight of the oak axle, with its cast iron offset crank also right in there at80 to 90 lbs., and let us not forget the water pressure that comes in at about 8 lbs. per sq. inch pressing against the surfaces of the containing cupped collars, you are working with a rather slow moving machine but with a lot of torque

All this energy is expended against the guiding block on the down cutting stroke, and needs a solid surface to glide along against

All that is needed is to contain things on the up stroke ie: lift the pitman, and the blade, which sure contains some needed force, but only a fraction of what is needed on the down stroke

You can see I am sure why the turbine has to run counter clockwise to ensure that the main forces on the guide block, act against the proper support

It would be very easy during a complete rebuild of the turbine and axle units to install the cupped collars in reverse, if you had no previous knowledge of the mechanics of the mill's operation

Even installed properly, and everything adjusted tightly, at maximum speed and full cut it makes you wonder how everything really holds together like it does

It always amazed me as you started up the mill and let it idle, how quietly it run, just the sound of the water passing through
and the gentle sliding sound of the guide block and the saw sliding between the upper guides

Well enough for tonight

hope you enjoy our get togethers

I sure do

Richard NH