Quote:
I hate foam and tight houses, but a lot of homeowners have bought into the notion that such is the best way to do things, and so sometimes you have to work with what they want (the customer is not always right, but you always have to make them feel like they are)

Hi David,

I agree...except now, I have stopped making my clients "feel like they are" when I know better or my name is attached to something...

Now...if a client wants me to do something out of context or parameters of design that I know (or feel) is "bad practice," I document it and make them sign a waiver that the "choice" was theirs and not mine...Seldom (if ever now) do I get pushed into this position...

The entire concept of "airtight" as being good for anything that involves natural "healthy living" has been a ludicrous notion to me since day one...I won't stop stating that or writing about...Those who disagree...can debate the point all they care too...most of the humans I know "breath air..." and "airtight" is counter to that little aspect of physiology...Building any architecture that doesn't support simple basic physiology is crazy in my book. Heck...even a well built timber frame that is "super insulated" and "draft proof" with permeable wall systems can be stuffy if you don't open a window or door at least once a day...

Quote:
If people are looking for a high energy performance house, I will point them to a larsen truss type system.

If I may...Just call them Wall or Roof trussing...

John did not invent (per se) or really change these to much from original designs from decades ago or the concepts of them. He (during the Carter administration) did examine, publish and understand them better than anyone else around at the time...I have corresponded with John (years ago...now retired) and been examining and employing them ever since...as have folks like Robert Riversong.

Lignotrend Wall Trusses are some of the best in the world for an "industry made" form of them, yet site built forms are just as good for the Timberwright wanting to make them.

In my view (being a traditional woodworker anyway) the "all wood joinery" types are superior to any currently on the market or being made...They just compliment what we do, are strong the anything nailed or screwed together and look really nice all on there own...

Let me know if I can add more to the conversation...

Regards,

j