I figured you had seen these videos, Jon, I couldn't resist posting them.

One aspect to consider is layout methods, material at hand, and how the two come together. All my material is sawn on site, some hewing, too. It is rough stock compared to treated commercial pine, you are working with. I'm assuming it is surfaced on 4 sides and true.

In my work and others I am sure, I can pull a log from the woods, saw it, and incorporate it into a frame all in the same day. Do any of the shops in your area perform work on green fresh sawn timber? I suspect that is so, but the majority of the work you see is it prepared material? Sometimes this rough timber sits in the yard and you will find twist and other effects time has on timber, do you find chain mortisers will perform cut after cut at the time frame you mentions without hesitation? A frame we put up this spring had near 1" twist in it from end to end. How about extra waney timber, how does that affect the workability of a chain mortiser?

As for time, I try to find other ways to still offer a traditional frame with short cut joinery decisions built into the system, from types of joints used or not used, as well as short cuts in working the joinery. I think the case could be made that if you are working with smooth, slick material your joint execution will need to be top notch to bring the project together, while working in the rough things are still exact yet there is the allowable fudge that will not be as noticeable The two outcomes will be similar but different and to compare on a price of cutting joints alone may lead one down a road that doesn't lead to any destination.