I see it frequently mentioned that large overhangs are essential for a long-lived, trouble free timber frame (or any structure) as well as sun/shade reasons. I was thinking a ~4ft overhang would make sense for me since there is a ~3ft walkway beneath it. Can an overhang this large be supported by just the rafter(s) of the roof frame(s) extending outward, or is a gusset brace (or even a vertical post) a guaranteed necessity for this size of cantilever? It'd be nice for the walkway under the eaves to be undisturbed by crossbraces with forehead-dents in them, and nicer to not have to make the wall taller to raise the braces up. FYI, this is to be located in central Texas, so snow loading is likely not as big a concern as wind-loading.

What type of rafter-extension is usually done for the really wide overhangs sometimes seen? I figured the usual birdsmouth jointing at the frame cap would eat up too much of your cross section to stick out very far, but those are the only type of rafter/wall joint I seem to be able to find detailed explanations of (well, roof sprockets count, but I was hoping for something that continues the same shallow roof incline as the main rafters)

TCB