Hi TCB,

I will do my best to run down your query and thoughts...

Quote:
...just haven't been able to get excited about the daub-styles which seem to require a lot of maintenance & are somewhat limited as far as their design flexibility...

Of all the infill methods (and there are hundreds if all timber framing cultures are taken into consideration) most are much more durable and insulative than many "think" or assume to be true. These still are a dominant form of enclosing timber frames and are still reasonably common in Europe and elsewhere as an efficient way to enclose and insulate a frame. More suited for less harsh climates of the temperate zones, they can still work in the colder regions as well with proper design...

Quote:
...So I looked into wood joinery-based systems, and found this diagram on a TFG thread...

The modality in the attached sketch/model is a common one in several cultures. Here in North America (there are...or where some examples in Louisiana) which are called "Piece sur Piece" and The other similar method is a "vertical planking system" often call Plank Frame Architecture ...Both represent a combination of timber framing and log or slab architecture...Depending on how and who facilitates this historical design, they can end up with a very functional and efficient structure...In some applications a "rendering" (aka plastering) may be necessary, yet in others and "all wood" system can be had as well...

Quote:
So I wanted to see if there may be a way to adapt it to a double-wall layout

There is...and probably too many to even begin to list... crazy Some better than others some more traditional than others..

"Wall Truss" systems (as Sean has referenced) are another (but different) modality. This is the system I recommend above all others for most Timber Frames unless following a specific "historic format" for a given reason or desire.

The commented advantages are many, such as the mechanical and wiring chases (aka "tunnels"), extra thick wall for little to no added cost, non bridging insulative modalities, deep window seating areas, improved storage capacity, et.

When I got to the disadvantages as described, I realised that you may be trying to create a "double walled" timber frame, which also exists, but is not as efficient in material utilization typically as a simple timber frame with a "wall truss" system. Since I tend to build almost exclusively on traditional stone foundations I can share also that a slab is not a necessity, even when using a double walled timber frame method, as even a stone plinth/socle system would support such a structures as would a simple "Raised Earth Foundation."

Hope that was of some assistance...

Regards,

j

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 02/14/16 05:00 AM.