I think for the sake of the OP, there is some points to add...

It is clear that each have a view and their rights to them...No harm there at all in sharing them...

I do believe, as I think Will B. was trying to allude to, that the majority (rightfully so) use a mix of power and hand tools. More so the first if one is producing frames on a commercial production level...They are clearly (statistically speaking) at least 3X (or more depending on skills) as fast as hand tools alone, and I base this on rough calculations and observations of students, colleagues, and literature citation over the last several decades...

Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL
What does a chain mortiser run, $5000?
Originally Posted By: Dave Shepard
The SwissPro is at least $5k

It would depend on which model and if new or used?

They are not nearly that expensive (on average) as indicated above since used they average about $1900 to $2000 (have owned two) and new they range (in current new pricing) from:

$2180 (Swiss KSL 161 Chain Mortiser)

$2615.00 (Swiss 3-in-1 Chain Mortiser w/KSM Set 8. With sliding vertical clamp.)

$4984 (SwissPRO KSP 16/20 Chain Mortiser)

Then there are slotters and other configurations in the SwissPro line that can be more expensive yet also cut much larger, and/or deeper mortise...and I would say much faster depending on the skill sets of the operator...