I have to say I am a little perplexed. I see the framers that use only hand tools say that they produce nice frames. But I get the impression that they think they can only produce nice frames with power tools by going out and buying the most expensive power tools they can find. Right now I have a Makita chain mortiser and I am a one man shop. I work at a very relaxed pace and I cut and raised 5 frames last year and have 4 scheduled for this year. Would a faster chain mortiser really pay for itself? Now, if I had employees and they could cut 6 mortises an hour compared to say 3 with the Makita it probably wouldn't take long before a Mafell or SwissPro payed for itself.
Here is another example that I weigh all the time. I use Bosch 6" random orbit sanders and I usually have to buy a new one every year. They are half the cost of a Festool. The Bosch has a 1 year warranty and the Festool has a 2 year. I just can't make that leap to the Festool. I just ordered a new Bosch and bought an additional 2 year warranty, so I'll see how that works out.

Michael Shenton