Hi Tim,

Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL
It would be cool to see some videos you may have, Jay.

I do need to do more of this and I have been pushed more and more in that direction as of late by students and colleagues. I am a bit "non photogenic" and actually try to stay out from in front of cameras and video devices...Perhaps a habit from the Marines, and/or just feeling self conscious...

But...you are correct, I do need to do more in this area...

If someone was just wanting to cut simple mortises, max through tenons in 14" stock which version would be the best choice?

The Swiss Pro lines were unstable, I agree...

All these large tools are starting to settle down a bit with price swings and we may see more coming into the country over the next 5 years as the global market (and interest in timber framing) expands. I have also noted that with the expansion of forums like this, and other internet exchanges; in concert with "language translation programs" we may see some of the great Korean and Japanese tools start to come back to the North American market. Makita and Hitachi make great "chisel mortisers" for timber framing, and Makita use to sell theirs here...It may now be coming back, along with other interesting items as well...

As for 14" stock...and considering the average small shops production, I would still probably recommend the Makita if only one tool is going to be the mortiser for the shop. $$ to work performed, this tool still "rules the roost" when well understood and outfitted. Very close second (if only one mortiser is going to be supporting a small shop) I would pick the "Swiss 3 in 1 Chain Mortiser" if purchasing something now.

Festool makes several marvelous chain mortisers and these will be here in the next few years...as will probably some of the Japanese and Korean offerings...

What would you say a full on power shop would expend in cash for a nice set of power tools, Jay?

Hmmm, that is really a tough one Tim. I would be doing a disservice (I think?) if I gave out vague an idea. I do better understanding the demands on the shop. Many small one don't need much and can get by with as little as $4000 to $8000. You move up as demand spreads, or in our case...the cooperative grows, because as a collective we have a great many tools to through at a project one of us brings to the table to "chew on."

I suspect it would easily range into $500,000 At which point I alway have to ask if it is worth that effort. Will I be sitting in the office 10 hours a day, with a crew on the floor?

Tim, that is a huge amount of money, and I doubt I would ever get there myself in "one shop" but perhaps in the collective we would achieve that. One of use in the New York area on "the farm" will be building a 60'x60' shop this year, and we will probably be adding a another band mill and swing blade to the Wisconsin group in the next 18 months. No one shop within our cooperative group of Timberwrights will ever come close to $500K!! That is more like the shops that have gone the "Hum-Dinger" computer operated monsters...Now that to me is overkill and is not something I like or promote in general, but understand there place in the scheme of things.

grin