Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL
One of those Festool thingys would be cool in a one inch version. When will the mortising industry put out a tool like that?

I may have missed the point on that one?? (sorry if I did...crazy )

Festool makes two models of this tool. The 500 and the 700. We use the 500 for small furniture, some flooring, etc. while the 700 works all kinds of larger magic...

The toggles sizes range from (we make our own) 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm in thickness (single plunge,) and with variable widths either "stock item" called a "domino free tenon" or custom sizes if we care to make them. The depth can be adjusted to 0 all the way up to 70 mm deep. So the range of "toggling" options is pretty broad...

Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL
...my favorite finish is nothing. Although I have never tried the burned and wire brushed venue..

Most of our clients want (and will pay for) a more refined finish of oiling or other treatment. We tend to plane all timbers just to make layout a bit more easy and clean. Actually a new 300 mm Makita planer just arrived today to replace a very only creature from years ago...

We have done a number of Yakisugi wood charring method onto timbers...it is becoming more and more popular for a number of applications.