Originally Posted By: Sean Hyland
...what are the primary criteria that are important to all of you when selecting or considering an enclosure style?

I think for me, it is the same thing that many architects of distinction have gone over to these last 5 decades...

Complete and utter "architectural disentanglement" whenever and wherever possible within a structures design.

Modern contracting (especially in the U.S. domestic market) is still decades away from where "commercial" architecture is in some regards, and both could do considerably better...The primary focus is still "speed and profit" which is a "low bare" criteria when actually claiming to be..."good designers and facilitators"...of architecture. Manufacturing also, has a large part to play in this mess, and what they make of it to keep profits high, and "consumerism alive." We culturally as "builders" also are very habitual in nature often "doing things" because that is what "everyone else does."

For me a wall or roof diaphragm needs to be a matrix of interworking components that act in concert (naturally) with each other and not inhibit anyone other component within the system, be it electrical, mechanical or of the thermal envelope.

Looking at 98% of most "wall systems" (including SIP) and we do not see a system that makes an effort to do anything but "try" to insulate and even then the modality is still (relatively speaking) experimental...and for me...the results have been anything but good...The can (and often do) trap interstitial moisture (as do many systems now) and are a nightmare to effectively wire and plumb...and...the absolutely do nothing for "upgrading" or "ease of access."

I know that John (aka J. Larsen) was given the distinction of a the "Larsen Truss" yet this is a misnomer in many ways. "Chased walls" have been in industrial design for many decades and "Wall Truss" systems preday John's efforts to make a "nonstructural wall" to just do insulation.

A wall truss, is without doubt a comprehensive and encompassing system that can manage to meet just about every criteria of "architectural disentanglement" one could ask for...

Continued...