NOTE: Text in "Blue" have links attached.

Originally Posted By: TCB
Dragon beam as a floor support? Color me interested, I thought it was a roof-only thing...any good examples of a floor structure done this way?

Only a few photo links...here and there under... "Dragon Beam" ....when doing searches in "English."

"Quotes" around search topic often yield better results, and "like this" searchres within context searches expand the information further...

Originally Posted By: TCB
I agree it is effectively a triangle, but there are ultimately four members involved instead of merely three, so I guess a trapezoid with one really short leg?

As I wrote earlier, these large wall oblique bracing systems are absolutely the strongest and best application of any oblique system one could employ within the...roof, wall or floor diaphragms...of a timber frame structure...

They are the primary "triangulated resistance forms" found in Middle Eastern and Asian design modalites...WHEN...they do employ an oblique bracing modality...Which they do employ in key areas more often than many "students of architectural history" believe to be done. Because they are so often in roofs and floors...and/or employed outside the typical European context...they are not generally noticed or understood by casual viewing..

I tend to find and see Asian application of "oblique systems" to be the best applied and understood forms found for resistance to extreme tectonic loading. Since the "building environments" these timber framing styles evolved in are some of the most seismically active zones in the world...naturally the understanding of "strengthening and resistance to racking"...modalities would evolve to be some of the most advanced in the world...

This is further borne out, and considered reasoning why we find a significant paradigm shift in some of Southern and Eastern European timber framing systems, and why the significant regional differences and uniqueness. As such...we find radiating from the connective tectonic plates emanating from Jura Mountains...down into the end/edges of the Iberian peninsula, through all of the Apennine peninsula and into regions of the Anatolian peninsula, very different timber framing styles to what is found in Western Europe.

Middle Eastern throughout Asian...Timberwrights have learned to employ both..."flexure and Locking"...racking systems to work in concert with one another...The "horizontal bracing modalities" of Japan (without expanding the disucssion into Korean, Chinese and Hymilian systems) reflect strongly this architectureal developement style...Moya, Tsumabari, Koyabari, nokigeta,....and most critical...the Nuki...all work extremely well to resist racking while still providing flexability within the structure. Some systems employ these almost exclusively in very seismically active zones, some also having oblique systems within the floors, roof, and perhaps wall corner intersections as well. Most being very large in triangulation, many in a "horizontal configuration, and most connecting within the context of "sill and plate" configuration.

Ketayuki sujikai, Koya sujikai, and very importantly the Hiuchibari found within floors and ceiling assembly...are all very critical "oblique systems" found in these timber framing modalities.