Hello All,

I understand better now the goals...

I must concur with Will on every point he has thus far made and or solutions offered...excellent...

Housing joints, for the extra effort it does take, is far outweighed by all the benefits of this addition to most joint intersections. From strengthening to aesthetics...little beats a housing...even in "live edge work."

The "line layout" and templating methods are well described in both video, blogs, and forum postings...unfortunately most (almost all the good one I know off??) are in either Chinese, Korean or Japanese...

I am currently having translated a Chinese video series from a Harvard student on some of the Chinese methods of timber framing. It is not as detailed as many of the Japanese videos with explanation, but has enough detail for a seasoned Timberwright to glean a great deal of knowledge...I will post a link at the bottom for the untranslated originals that are now on "Youtube."

These methods, once understood are simply brilliant in their solutions to different timber framing layout challenges and in other cultures are solved by "lofting." It mainly boils down to a "magic line" inside a building member...ergo...line layout...The snapped ink lines all represent the "soul line" inside the tiber, and this is what all the joinery corresponds to. Even in round/live edge work there is no "lofting" only the line, template and, of course, understanding the interplay of geometry...

And YES Will!!!...you should do more videos!! They would be fantastic...but I should make an effort more in this area myself...so have no room to talk...or point fingers...Ha ha...

Traditional Carpentry in Southern China video 1

Traditional Carpentry in Southern China video 2

Traditional Carpentry in Southern China video 3

Traditional Carpentry in Southern China video 4

Traditional Carpentry in Southern China video 5

Traditional Carpentry in Southern China video 6

Traditional Carpentry in Southern China video 7

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 03/28/16 08:22 PM.