Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL
With such a system, it would matter not the metric or standard system of measurements. Could be that a ratio of say 4:1 2" mortice/tenon on an 8" timber.

Excellent point!!

I love metric when doing my design work as the "unit ten" and decimal nature of it just works really well...for more reasons than worth listing...

The point (when it comes to the tangible elements of design and timber framing) is really what should be stressed...I make a point with student (et al) to the "history" of "good design" is typically (or should be) based on balanced proportions (aka the "golden section.)

So..."it does not matter"...(actually) the modality one chooses to "measure by" as the true importance is the proportional balance one is trying to achieve, be it based on elements of the "golden section" or related numerical sequence orientation (Fibonacci as just one example.)

"Pinned" (or trammeled) story poles are wonderful methods of "story poling" as the "pins" create (with just slight pressure) a mark to begin consistent (and easily) laid out joinery...