They just can't be match unless you spend many thousands of dollars for "green laser" highly calibrator survey and layout tansits...Even then...they still match the accuracy...

I got to watch the entire process of how to use a goat (not only for a festive barbecue) but also making a water level...It actually worked extremely well. You can see if there are any "air pockets" (aka bubbles) in the line...which really screw things up for many novice to this method...and...the nature of the intestine seem to aid in the water level reaching...equilibrium...much faster...

I could see that being a really issue with a tractor being part of the package...

Today, I typically use a 30 meter plus (~100' to 150') by 25mm to 30mm diameter clear levin tube and fix one end to a stationary midpoint for the project. We further "syphon fill" the tube and keep that in a larger container of water to make sure that the ambient temperature stays the same...as temperature gradient in a "water level" will also make "balancing" and leveling uneven...

Keeping the temperature even, and no bubbles and things work as smooth as glass...and pretty darn fast as well...."easy peasy - nice and easy!"