Hi Tim, et al.,

Sounds like a good deal Tim...Maybe over the weekend I'll start a thread if you don't beat me to it...which forum subject here do you think is the best place for it?? It does deserve its own thread and not clogging N. Butlers conversation...I am reviewing his CAD model of the project in question now, and I am sure he will have more to report, and/or ask questions about later on in this thread..

Hey Roger...The use of survey tools is an art in and off itself...I remember being the "stick man" in the Marines. If you have the talent for an old optical system...I say go for it...It still would act as only a "rough in" tool (like today's lasers.) Perhaps the new post should include the batter systems and other aspects of foundation work ans we have all done for timber frames...There are many tricks out there to share and getting them down in a discussion would be nice for folks trying to learn...

I also (for some applications) like long span levels as well. We have a 24' (5' section -expansion bolted) aluminum level that is really nice for some applications and large wood 3,4,5, (6mx8mx10m) that is also a must for aspects of this work.

I think some of us here also do like to "eat goat," as it is one of my favorite meat dishes...I think perhaps the "goat method" and others would be something to do a Journal Article about...