Hello D.W.

I am not sure how many of these you have been in in the New York state area, but I would like to know (your rough estimate?) how many comparatively had wedges and trunnel compared to no trunnel and only wedges from the ones you have been in. I am speaking of only American examples for this frame type, and your comparative examples of "softwoods" to hardwoods...We see mainly softwoods in the New York area, and one that may well be Yellow Poplar that I haven't yet examined.

As for overall comparable compatibility...both vertical (mainly furniture) and horizontal (primarily timber framing) is done in softwoods...and not hardwoods...My rough estimate is probably something between 60% softwood vs 30% conservatively (thereabouts) when all comparable joint configurations of this wedge form/style are compared. Point of notation...I am not just consider this joint from an American/European statistical commonality but overall use in timber framing cultures. I think many forget that the dominating number of timber frames built (historically and today) are east and south of the Anatolian peninsula and not in Europe. So when we speak of joint applications, durability and use, we should consider the entirety of the craft.

Regards,

j

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 07/12/16 10:56 PM.