So, where to start.
I've done a couple of traditional (scribe) timber framing projects in northern New Mexico. I'm currently in Washington, and going to build a (relatively) simple Arbor.

So here are some questions I have about building in this area, as well as any feedback on the over all design.

1. I've had mix feedback about building with Cedar if it's less than 50 years old. Supposedly it's not as rot resistant? therefor not as highly recommended. Does that mean I could get away with Doug Fir?
2. The design I'm working with, is very simple, and with a Japanese influence. Any feedback on the sheer strength (see photo's below). Should I add more braces?
3. What sort of sealer is recommended for exterior exposed timbers? This will be traditional style joinery, so I'm concerned about the joints holding moisture in this oh so wet climate.

I am new to this forum,(hopefully that photo works) and must say I am enjoying the abundance of information I'm finding. Many thanks to anyone reading this, and for any feedback.

Vic

Rough dimensions: 12' x 5' foot print
7' 6" at the highest point. All 6x6.

Last edited by victoremusic; 07/20/16 06:50 PM.

“If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?"