Wow, Jay thank you for your in depth response. Much appreciated.

So, it looks like I've got some research and learning to do on the species of Cedar here. I have been given a contact in my area, where I might be able to get old growth reclaimed Cedar, that would ideally be all heartwood. Which sounds promising, but I will do more research to better understand the species that I'm working with.

As far as how it will be attached, there are 10" diameter footers already in the ground (from the prior arbor) that have 3 1/2" x 9" ( 1/4" thick ) metal straps in the center. Someone recommended to me setting the post on a 1/4" plastic (ABS) piece, propping up the post 1/4" off the footer, so that it doesn't wick any moisture, and that pooled up water cannot travel up the post, or into the end grain.

I am doing some redesign now, with a focus on eliminating possible joints that can collect water. Will post more on that as that progresses.

I really like the copper shroud idea, and feel it could add a nice aesthetic (and longevity.) I don't have the tools (yet...) to give it a traditional hand tool finish. I will smooth it to the best of my ability, given the tools I have available, and am looking for the best exterior sealer that isn't overly toxic...yet affordable.

From what I'm told about building in this climate....is that it's only a matter of time before it breaks down. But would like to extend that time as much as I can, without loading it with chemicals. I was just recommended Osmo. Any feedback on that?

Thank you again for all your advice!

“If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?"