Hi all, I'm fairly new here & just wanted to say that I've really appreciated all the information on these forums...so thank you!

Here's the background on my question: I am building a 24'x36' workshop with a concrete 24'x24' foundation and the remaining 12' cantilevered out to (3) locust posts. The concrete section has an 8x8" sill (hemlock) and will be fully enclosed. The cantilevered section will share the roof system (ie. covered), but will be open on three sides.

This "porch" will have 2x8" joists (white oak) notched & dropped into pockets on the hemlock sill. They will reach across and attach to a 6x8" beam (also white oak), but this is where my question begins...

I would love to avoid using hangers for that joist/beam connection, but I am worried about cutting pockets because of the risk of creating a "wet" zone and promoting premature rot. It's true that this connection will be below a roof, but it's at the gable end of the building & will receive some windblown rain & definite snow.

Does anyone have experience with joist pockets in a similar exterior environment? Is there a way to design them to avoid this water issue? Is flashing with ice & water (or similar) an option? Weep holes? Any insight would be greatly appreciated...thanks!