I do not imagine that thermal expansion of osb can cause panel screws to shear for several reasons.

1. Thermal expansion in wood products is real but expansion is not likely equal on the inner and outer plies osb. The outer ply on the sunny side will heat in the sun but the inner ply is insulated from the sun and will likely be close in temperature to the timber frame, rafters and purlins. Without a wide temperature differential the shear potential between the inner panel of osb and frame is limited. The thermal coefficient of expansion in wood is expressed in rather small increments. In the long grain direction 1.5 to 2.5 times 10^-6 inches per degree Fahrenheit. I did not find a value for osb but the magnitude of the coefficient should be not far removed especially with close temperature. Yes there could be a difference between inner and outer plies but I believe the screws will flex rather than transmit a shearing force to the inner panel.

2. Suppose a shearing force could be generated, what's stronger wood fiber or a steel screw? I believe the fiber will crush before the steel will shear.

The fly in the ointment will be the gap between the sips, effective gaskets, cold roof technique, liquid water, vapor drive and atmospheric moisture. Another concern is the sips advocates will remove bracing from the frame and rely on the diaphragm for structural rigidity.

Last edited by Roger Nair; 08/17/16 05:57 AM. Reason: spelling