My post was only meant to indicate common sources for sound emanations...and not to suggest that a fastener would typically fail from expansion/contraction...Unless, there hasn't been enough of them used to attach the panels. It those cases expansion/contraction only exacerbated the over load the panels are under, and can lead to failure either in complete shear or sagging...

I agree that a panal expansion/contraction (typically) would not be an underlying cause for fasteners to shear, and/or fail all on its own.

I would further share (in light of one of Sean's observations) that foam panels themselves typically may offer a more of "winning" or "squeaking" sound as they expand and contract...not a sharp cracking sound.

In some examples, panels have been "glued on." These few occasions I have experienced (either as an extra level of attachment, or in some cases in an attempt to use less mechanical fasteners.) Can lead to a cracking sound as the glue joint either fails or expands/contracts.