Hello Chris...It's been awhile since we chatted...Thank you for adding your voice to the conversation.

Originally Posted By: Chris Hall
As far as I know, the standard reading for those characters is 'sumi-tsuke'.

I don't believe I would disagree with you Chris...and perhaps as a Romanized translation of the word, that perhaps could be the first example...however...it isn't the only one that is correct...as it has been explained to me.

I can share...from native language speakers (and my notes as well as computer based translators including Googles that only seems to get better each year) that... "Sumidzuke" comes up just as often.

On checking, it was explained to me that both are acceptable spellings. One of my primary sources over the decades is the former (now passed) languages Professors (and dear friend) at Dartmouth College...John Rassias and the Rassias Center for World Languages and Culture. This is offered to cite just one of my other translation sources I use beyond my own knowledge, notes, and contact with Native Language speakers.

In general...as to translation in the Romanized words of Japanese, I would bow to your spoken Japanese on most (if not all accounts) yet must share that having corresponded and traveled there in good account (as well as being raised part of my life in a native speaking Korean/Japanese household) I have learned there is much to the Romanization of Japanese terms (i.e. romaji) and regrettably our forum does not support kanji or I would use it with the words as well. With both standard and non-standard Romanization I have seen a very broad range of spelling both in country and in modern translators.

Further, I know you have taken umbrage with certain academic groups that translate architectural terms like Jaanus. I too, find some of there translations of architectural and related terms out of context, yet after speaking with Native speakers and linguists on the topic I can also state that there is not always definitive correct and incorrect terms on many of these. None of this even begins to speak to dialects, Prefecture and subtle Kanji differences within the Japanese language from Hokkaido to the Ryukyu archipelago...which reflects a broad and rich variance with the language...much like English. Just as a Mainer sounds and speaks much different than a Texan, often even spelling things differently, so to do we find this in Japan, Korean, China and in most languages.

Originally Posted By: Chris Hall
Neither character in sumi-tsuke means 'face' or 'black(en)'. Sumi is ink, and ~tsuke is apply, put on.

In the literal translation of the Kanji Chris...I would agree with you 100%. However, that does not mean that within certain regional normative cultures, this is not the Kanji used to describe the festival events or what takes place...and...I have seen it posted as such...

As to the translation of "Blacking the face" I would reflect similar findings and citations as above...and offer the following links as well being the fastest I could find that supports my understanding...For those interested...please not the Kanji reflected in the search bar for both pages are the same...It all depends on use and context...as well as...regional Prefectural differences in the Japanese culture and cast system.

Lining and layout of timber...or Sumidsuke

Blackening the Face Festival photos...(note different in different Prefecture)

As always Chris...good to hear from you...If you send me an email Chris we can explore this further if you would wish, as to not get to far off the subject into the subtleties of language translation into English or obscure meaning of Kanji from standard "street" Japanese and into traditional architectural forms...

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 08/25/16 04:35 AM.