Originally Posted By: Chris Hall
Japanese people are, it would be worth noting, no more expert on their own language than English speakers are experts on their own.

I don't disagree with that...in general academic terms Chris...per se.

Nevertheless, I want to know and understand how native speakers talk (aka Mainers and Texans...or the common folk) way more than I want to debate academics on the deeper...opinions...of language deconstruction and purely Dictionarial Formats of a standard linguistic format as found in exclusively pedagogical venue.

I need (and want) to "correspond with" native speakers the best I am able and take their general guidance in this matters of...how they themselves speak. Kind of..."the person in the street..." (or workshop) speaking the language mindset. Douglas Brooks (et al) shared this logic with me a long time ago when learning any conversational aspects of a language.

Chris, I know you are very passionate about the Japanese language, and I already offered that I am sure you speak it (in your own way) much better than I do by far. We are now very much getting into the academic details of linguistics and semantics however...I think

As to your opinion of Google you have all the right to those beliefs. My sources I offered in the former post are relatively substantial in not only academic circles, but in teaching and learning to speak Second Tongue Languages. Again, if you do not value that to some degree, I won't debate it. I clearly don't agree on some points, yet overall have no umbridge with your views in general. The details of your language mechanical deconstruct (linguistically) is sound in context. I would turn to you, post haste, as a source... should I ever really need such a deeper understanding of something I am failing to grasp on such matters for your view of it. I know a number of Language teachers however, that would agree with me on much of what I wrote above in the other posts...when...just trying to get folks speaking passably another language.

Is the free software Google offers perhaps the best? I would say for free software that all can access pretty easily...it is considered so by many (most?) It is good and trying to get better. I would point out that I don't just study Japanese, but several of Asian languages (et al) almost exclusively as a...Street Speaker, and to be able to do better research in these cultures arts and building systems from that perspective. I am not a Linguist, nor claim to be one by any standard, nor is that my goal.

I am (or have been) around native speakers on fair occasion and in direct contact with some often enough that their guidance and assistance (as reflected in what limited citing I did in the previous post reflects) seems to get me by well enough. I don't think I can do better than I have on this topic since you disagree with the sources I have offered...and since that is the case, offering more would only detract from the post topic...which isn't Japanese translation esoteric breakdowns...but layout systems and how the are employed.