Hi Arne,

I think I would have to validate this post into two distinct topics.

First would be Tulip Poplar (TP is actually a Magnolia) is one of my favorite wood species to timber frame with...

I love the color, the size it can attain, (especially without knots!!!) its general strength (comparably slightly stronger than White Pine) so all in all a great wood for many timber framing projects.

The caveat...!!!...I don't always recommend this species to those that have little to no experience in selecting wood for a structural timber frame project. (Not sure if you do or don't?) Further, just getting one of these big (or small!!) trees down in a green off the stump state...can be a challenge without shocking, shattering and/or damaging the strength of the log bolt. Past this are all the issue with proper milling (as Roger suggested) each bolt into the proper Cant for the applied timber within a frame.

All these challenges are manageable (if not easy for the most part) yet this ease comes from years of selecting timber from stands, proper rigging and logging methods appropriate for the species, germaine milling methods for the species, and then further considerations as well.

Second is a Hammer Beam frame...

I love Hammer Beams, yet as I state for most posters and people who contact me and want to DIY a timber frame...I strongly suggest that the frame design go for PE approval before proceeding any where near a completed project. A HB frame is full of wonderful challenges even for an experience Timberwright...let alone a DIYer (but I own that is just my view.)

Again I don't know your experience, nor the quality of your trees. I would suggest (if new to this) to consider much and remember that just copying or getting a HB CAD model is not going to make it a safe frame to build. I will also share (and this isn't to discourage but a suggested warning) that there are more Sketchup Frames I see that may look O.K. yet this does not mean they are...real timber frames...only virtual. Experience makes them this and I have most of my frame PE examined at minimum...

Good luck...Hope this wasn't to discouraging, and you are successful with your project!!

Regards,

j