Hi Arne,

It is really difficult (over a forum conversation) to assess the merit of all the moving parts. Many assumptions have to be made about Logger, Sawyer, Design, and the person cutting the frame (no disrespect intended toward anyone.)

Just the logging and felling is fraught with very specific challenges to this craft. We either accept that the person doing the logging and felling has felled for timber frames before...or they have not. I can say that seldom do I see most (almost all actually) drop these trees properly for this species and intended outcome for the logs. They should either be lowered with rigging, climbed and rigged down, or dropped on very soft evened out pads...THEN...immediately assessed for Fall Shakes and Cracks...end sealed post haste...and move to milling location. Bark should be remove if at all possible in large sheets as a valued worth material in its own right for shingles siding. There is much to TP trees and their value and resource as a forest product, with a rich and wonderful tradtional history all in there own right!

IF...the above does not happen...then felling operation isn't much different than any other logger dropping trees. Which usually leaves the Bolts of questionable quality and worth, especially for this species and the intended outcome of the Cants to be made into a timber frame.

Steve's frames do (indeed) get replicated quite often. It still does not change that the frame really (and I can stress this enough) get examined by a PE with timber framing experience. Just the lengths of the tenons in some of the blown up views provided I can share would never muster approval before leaving my drafting board (aka computer these days) and my PE would think I was "pulling his leg" if I sent something with tenons that short and the loads an HB can be subjected to. I am also not seeing the triple post configuration as the most costly or elegant solution to strengthening these joint intersections. IF that type of bulky affect is pleasing to the client's aesthetic, then it may meet some of the load requirements, yet I doubt all of them. Even in a hardwood like TP (which is a soft variety hardwood) the tenons would all be exclusively oak, locust, clear maple (or related toughness) hardwood splines at most joint intersections, with through tenons everywhere else if part of the TP timber itself. That is just my style and demand for strength when designing and facilitating an HB style timber frame. Most likely however, I may well pass on the project if the client couldn't be talked into a Cruck Frame or related folk style. Otherwise they would have to pay to have the HB frame design PE approved before moving to jointing and assembly. I would also insiste (at minimum) of approving all log bolts dropped and would want to review felling procedures. I own that is just my take on this species and frame type.

Regards,

j

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 08/31/16 05:08 PM.