hello everyone tonight

well it seems like I have a lot of unfinished business on some of the threads but I will get around to continuing conversation in regards to some of them--right now I am working on a new broad axe handle, for a leftie by the way, he wants it made out of black walnut, had to make a trip out to the tree on the back forty,--- it has some great curvy limbs growing out from the trunk--ideal for a handle needing a strong natural curve right next to the head

He also wants a copy of the axe handle making video that I sell from time to time, it shows the tree that I am referring to above, and then it goes into video detail showing the hands on work as the handle takes shape

He also wants a copy of my Traditional Hewing tape that shows me working, talking and explaining how to use it in a correct and safe manner.. It seems that he wants to try his hand at creating a couple of hewn timbers for his new home, I feel excited about helping him move ahead with his venture

This is a subject with many different and objectional points of view my focus is as always backed up with research that goes with pioneer life here in upper Canada in the early days of settlement. I might say that the pioneers who came here were from a wide spectrum of immigrants from Europe, and that alone speaks a lot about the tools that were saved and donated to UCV as it was formed in the 1960's, as a working museum dedicated to life in the early days.

over the years I have been especially interested in axe handle design, length, sweep, etc. looking at old photographs, and examining existing examples at UCV still solidly placed in axe heads and in storage in the museum one of which is in the Casselman barn, it houses many of these types of surviving hand tools

Anyway I have to go now like to hear from some of you

Richard casselman

NH