As a side note Tim (perhaps of interest??) these types of buildings in times gone by (yet coming back) like Cranberry Barns and related, had brick floors bedded in sand which provided a surface harder than wood but still very drainable and less stiff than monolithic concrete. Some had wood only made of something like White Oak...sometimes of just engrain bedded in sand like the brick.

Some of the contemporary versions (one I know of in Rhode Island..I think? it's RI..is a timber frame) where they use a hardened rubber brick made of recycled material. These are often now used in Equine Barns as well. It turns the entire floor into a drain system of sorts, with the drain piping accessible in Service Troughs for clean out, much friendlier to stand and work on. Some slabs are getting covered with these as well now as an upgrade to the surface.

I liked what you shared about the wood chips...I know of many folks that leave a shallow layer on there concrete slabs just for the reasons we have discussed thus far.