Hey Tim...

No worries...I will still follow along here, and post directly when addressed like you have now. We will be revisiting all this in the new post thread as I do feel a bit Sheepish in kidnapping this one as we all have...(no harm though...its been great!!)

I do want to explore much of this and compare personal notes and observations among all we can get to participate in what they have done, seen and/or researched...I will be asking many direct question for comparative analysis (of sorts) between our findings and perspectives...

Now to your points...and good ones they are...!

First, I think your perception of timber framing systems and approach modalities clearly reflects the normative cultural exposure you have to the craft in general...To me, it clearly reflects you being up there in Maine and understanding timber framing (in general) from that perspective...It even explains part of our not to distant conversation about extremely tapered pegs!!! It was pointed out to me, and on visit soon after that extreme taper in Trunnel is common in some regions...if not the norm...Maine being one of them! So again we have a stylization and moteff that still is having a effect (perhaps even subconsciously) on those that live in a Region.

I believe every word of what you wrote. I also believe (in that context and your system approach to framing) that enchantability is not as fluid or part of the system as it can be found in others...In fact, for your region and your frames...it probably just does not work. I can think of times and projects where our frames would reflect exactly the same perspective.

On the frame we are on now at 8m wide and over 45m long with 6m bays, we have a much more...well Asian...motif (actually Prairie Style to be more accurate with a Craftsman Period flair.) other than a few pieces on the gable end with a scattering hear and there...all primary pieces are virtually interchangeable to the point of not even getting specific labels until just before raising...The toggle keys (small free tenons) that lock the Corbels to the Upper Chords (aka Top Plates) number in the thousands and are mass produced to fit there mortise. The list goes on, but you get the gist...

I look forward to getting the new post up and running in a few day...I do so look forward to seeing you there with others!!!

Regards,

j