Morn'n Cecile, Roger, et al...

Roger...please don't resign from the conversation...Just understand that it is supposed to be that..."a conversation."

We don't have to (nor should we) be each other's sycophants and agree on everything, nor does having different viewpoints, experiences, or understandings need to turn into debate. We don't agree or have different experiences...big deal.

Reframing my own thoughts/views around quotes from others is simply a method of clarifying an understanding of what is being said/written. There is no other motivation there, just like in a classroom, lecture, or simple "written" detailed conversation on what is suppose to be a technical forum of variously experienced professionals. So please stay, understand I respect you, but don't always agree with you...I loved Monty Python...Thanks for the memory...but my request is for erudite conversation...not argument.

Hey Cecil,

You got it...

My first love of timber framing was in barn building and restoration...As I learned more, I also became a close follower of things like the Bura Conventions on professional standards in the restoration of historic fabrics (i.e. fabric being stone, wood, earth, or whatever made up the historic object.) The ethos of Burra and related professional standards has always been..."Like for like, in means, methods, and materials," whenever it is possible to do so. As such, greenwood was the way, and from the restoration work ing old wood, I learn quickly it was much more forgiving to work in green wood than dry, just as our forebears did it.

I also then, very much, fell in love with the folk styles from most cultures of Green Woodworking in general, be it a chair, floor, bowel, spoon or any manner of domestic item.

For the OP if he/she does have a choice, I would suggest fresh wood over aged...but that's just my perspective of it...

Regards,

j