Quote:
I wonder Jay what you mean by fresh or green wood? Maybe limited to use as timbers, if you know what I mean because while I'm glad you have your passions, personally I don't give a hoot about carving spoons or bowels.

It seems we all have perspectives, and though in some cases it is considered poor form to validate our viewpoints, by expressing our experience this can sound...well??...grandiose or in poor form. I don't like doing it, but just too often, I am confronted by viewpoints being shared that are based on such narrow and/or limited experience within this and related crafts...that frankly I do grow quite frustrated in how dogmatic those limited views are...(and no I don't even like what I just wrote...but what the heck here goes the rest of it anyway...)

Some have heard/read this before...some haven't...but besides having apprenticed traditionally in this craft with Old Order Amish Barnwrightss from the time I was 13 til 23 years of age when I joined the US Marines...I grew up in a household (and friendships) of artisans from Textilesist and Blacksmiths...to stone carvers and ceramicists...It was a blessed gift to say the least...

So now...some 46 years of working in and around these Folk Arts including being a Timberwright that has gotten to befriend the likes of Ed Levine (whom I miss so much) and seeing beautiful frames around this globe of ours, I just like to share what I think might be a little more experience than most and perhaps a little broader exposure to the craft than many...Perhaps??

So...It is a "no brainer"...(at least from my perspective and view) that the use of...Dry Timber...to make a frame is not only outside the historical context of the craft (which it most certainly is) it is also an absolute pain in the Arse...!!!!

In closing, as per a conversation just today working with other very gifted Timberwrights on a restoration project here in Texas, this forum discussion came up over lunch. The consensus was anyone that thinks cutting a frame from dry wood is appropriate...??..(quoting here)..."...is daft or lacks understanding and experience in the craft..." (don't shoot the messenger please!) But seriously folks...the 250 plus year old dried Hemlock, Pine, Tulip Poplar, Maple, Oak, and Spruce we are working with currently is as dry as it comes and a royal pain in the kester to work with compared to green timber...just as it has been for the millenia this craft has been practiced...and the reason most (virtually all mind you) are cut in green wood...I also must take umbrage that a frame has to be full of gapes or have major issues if cut with green wood compared to dry...IT DOES NOT...if done correctly...at least our's typically don't...

Just my view, again that seems to counter with others, but I will stand behind it, and the reasonable quantity of experience I think I have...and hope some take some value in it...