Hello all, I live in Canada and run a small sawmill during the weekends. I've been stock piling 5x8 and 4x4 beams for a house project I will be building in the near future. The house is being designed by me in a program called Sketchup and is a standard rectangle home. I recently put up a 20x20 barn and that took me a summer to erect. The house is a more extensive and will be 32x49. The foundation will be a full foundation with 8" walls and floor with frost walls going 5ft. This will be hired out with a local contractor which I plan on putting the subfloor on and storing the beams in the foundation to dry out for a few years.

Question, the roof rafters are quite long (5x7 at length of 25ft). The spread will be 3-4ft apart on each rafter. My concern is the length and if a scarf joint can be used to make up the size? My mill will cut 20ft but 25ft is very long and will require me to remove a wall in my mill house to add an extension. The extension will allow me to mill 35ft which is more than enough. The pitch of the roof is 20x20 pitch.

Thank you.