Quote:
...but it's possible that the curved timber techniques were unique to the French.

I agree Jon. In my understanding of the system and its comparative to other systems, the French modality is unique.

I would also note (and agree) by and large, the French practitioners are respectful (for the most part) of other systems and even interested in them. I also find that these systems are different enough to hold entirely difference approach avenues to the solutions of rendering complex joinery; especially in curved/live edge timbers. As such, I believe that the "style" of French architecture itself had a great effect on the layout system, and perhaps why it has endured intact as long as it has.

It has also been observed that normative cultural effects could well be at play here, in as such, that old guilds didn't not change or adapt systems from..."what they where to anything new"...as to not only protect triad secrets, honor there forbears methods but also to keep systems (and the complexities) as unchanged as possible. Such enigma within layout systems often became cornerstones of "trade craft" for Guilds in both Europe and Asian as well as other cultures that had them.

Quote:
Do you have any good starting references for the Asian layout systems. While I'll probably not get my head around them in time for my little talk, I'm still very interested.

Alas most are either direct observation, related to me orally, or in the original language.