hello everyone tonight

I just thought that I might expand out on handling axes in general because of nick`s mention of the several axe heads that he has that require his attention

creating a unique handle used to be handed down from generation to generation in the form of a handle pattern usually stored on a flat board, that would hang in a safe spot somewhere on the farm or premises

this pattern would accurately portray the sweep of the body of the handle, this is usually the part extending from the flat area entering the head to just before where the handle curves sharply down at the opposite end to create a comfortable grasping point for either the right or left hand depending on one`s swinging preferance.

The final touch to the handle would be the carved head on the handle`s end, this is sometimes referred to as a `fawn foot`
or `knob`, many variations have survived, and usually are saved so it can be reproduced accurately.

The sweep of the handle, and the final turning down at the upper hand grasping area, are very important, and when one has used a particular handle style for a number of years, and something happens to require a re handling to take place creating a new one with as similar curves and lengths, and I might say feel,like size of the grasping areas,to include how your hand and fingers feel as you grasp it to begin work

We always created a handle in our spare time, like winter, and laid it away to cure and be ready to go in case an accident happens right during a very busy wood harvesting season
or in the spring when the fire wood is being split and stored.
this final time is a very dangerous time and many handles were sadly cracked or worn away near the axe head.

Introducing a new member of the growing family into wood harvesting was another dangerous time for axe handles due to over strikes and other learning curves

I hope this helps those that are endeavouring to create their own unique handles, I have yet to see a good modern handle that can fill the need of a dedicated woods man

I created some instructional video a few years ago for a gentleman in Montreal who had broke his family`s hewing axe`s handle and was desperate for help to create a new one.

A handle for a hewing axe is definitely more challenging and I worked with him using instructions from afar ìn the form of a video, the whole episode came out well and I was pleased

enjoy

Richard
NH