So my wife and I have dreams of building a timber frame house. Like many people I am sure, I have been thinking about every detail and aspect, and I'd like to run some ideas by you guys to see what you all think.

I like the idea of my house lasting a couple decades, so obviously TF is the way to go. I also want to do concrete walls in between frames. Not like ICP walls, because I actually want to see the concrete, like board-formed concrete walls. I know ICP's are becoming more popular for TF homes, but I haven't seen a whole lot of board-formed concrete walls. I would guess foam would still be on the exterior of the concrete wall to keep the thermal mass of concrete working and not dissipate to the outside, or let heat inside in summer. These walls would only be for the border of the structure. All interior walls would be standard drywall, except the fireplace, that will be either stone or a standout board-formed concrete wall that is stained dark. I just love the mixture of wood and concrete in structures.

My other idea is for heating, I'd really like to do hydronic radiant floor heating. This isn't revolutionary by any means, but I visited a house with this type of heating once in my early 20's and was sold that it's the best. I would also do a wood stove as a back-up.

What are your thoughts on these fundamental ideas?