Hello Hemlock,

It doesn't look like Will is at his desk...So I will give my best 2¢...

Originally Posted By: HemlockFrame
If I follow the design on page 141 with the longer top plate, will I be able to lift the beam by myself? I'm trying to design this so I can manage the pieces.

Your ability to lift a frame or frame members is solely dependant on your rigging skills and equipment. I have lifted solo multiple tons several stories into the air, but this is dangerous and critical skill sets.

Be very clear on your goals, the equipment's capabilities, and above all...take your time and pay attention to details...

This is not a topic even for several pages of postings on a forum...Seek help directly from a master rigger if you are not confident of these prerequisite skills sets to solo timber frame facilitation and raising.

There is a sawmill 40 minutes from my place so the wood will be actual dimensions but I expect I will have to square them up losing some dimension.

No dimension need be lost unless you wish for some other reason of need and/or aesthetic...

Will brilliantly outlined his layout modalities within the reference tome. So whether using his illustrated systems or a mix of line, scribe and/or edge/mill rule systems of layout, the timber could be round and tapered, live edge, or out of square and your joinery still fit perfectly. This is about approach methodology and skill set within a layout system...and how effectively you implement design, layout, and execution of the joinery...

So to get enough wood in my joints, then I should use the 8x8 post and beams to ensure I have a safe building?

Yes...I believe that would be most prudent for your first frame...

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask more questions...

Regards,

j