Problems pointed out above (access, changing fenestration--before and after completion!--etc) are one reason we are rethinking basement (with the Superior Wall system) vs slab on grade with the ground floor replacing the basement for mechanical, garage, etc. Jackhammering concrete for a forgotten window is not for sissies (I wore out a Rockwell 601 hammer punching holes in our current home--must have been 6000# stuff).

Big factor: we have our own 180 acre forest, lots of trees (and 2 mills). Why use expensive concrete when we have wood?

There is no easy way around the mixer truck for slabs, But I will be throwing in as many rocks, old rebar from a highway bridge replacement the contractor did not haul away, and other recyclable objects as the engineer will let me when we pour our slab, particularly the one for our utilty building on a slope with lots of buildup needed at the far end.

I am also going to use as many odd wood species as I can, saving the white oak in our forest for better uses. Again the PE & our designer will be the safety valve for what is OK (both are well versed on wood characteristics).

For example, I look at our abundance of big beech trees with lots of whirring chain saws and LT40 runs in my minds eye. Nobody will buy it, so we'll find a use for it!

Interesting point on floor heat. Ponder, ponder. There's that slab problem again.

Keep us in the loop on your project. A nice timber frame is our path as well.

Send me a PM and I will send you a link to a local for sale home (Charlottesville VA area) that is TF and strawbale. It was for sale a few years back touted big time as being strawbale but not currently, no mention, which makes me wonder a bit.

Looking to thin the woods