Originally Posted By: Wodineye
...I also though maybe ill just plug the old holes and drill new 3/4" holes, but once again, the crap carpenter is working against me, as most of the tenons are small and dont have much room for extra holes.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on how this process needs to happen, or maybe just a pointer to somebody who might be able to help out?

Hello Wodineye,

There are a number of us on this forum that have or still do "museum grade" restoration of vintage timber frames of all types for a living...

The methods and approaches are many from "conservation" methods that are typically modern in modality to just protect the frame from further destruction (yet should be reversible if following the Burra Conventions standards)...to full on historic restoration approaches, of which fills books of many pages...

I would be remiss as one of those professionals if I thought giving good advice was really possible without seeing the frame at least in photo (and best in person.) Further, without knowing species, age and wood quality, it is still a further challenge and really outside the scope of good advice or guidance.

I would also stress, that even after 40 years of seeing and doing this work in all manner of old frame...I still reach out to the PE (professional engineer) with timber framing experience...if...a frame offers any kind of reasonable challenge. A properly trained PE who is also a Timberwright is a priceless person to know and friend to have if in this line of work...Their views and suggestions are indispensable. The frame you have describe would more than warrant their input, as it sounds like the pegs may have (not necessarily) been undersize and the deconstruction of the frame not performed perhaps in the best ways possible?

IF...peg holes have all been blown out and made elliptical and/or oversized, as well as, negating the draw-bore effect then a much more tenuous and detail restoration of not just the peg hole but the tenos as well should be performed...Again, it's hard to say without at least photos...

Now...there is some hope for a "down and dirty" lets get this done DIYer that also knows a thing or two about timber frames...There are conservation tensioning systems that involved modern synthetic cable (aka Dinameen) and related...conservation strengthening systems...that could be a faster and stronger approach to the repairs of this challenging frame. These again are...conservation methods...and not...historic restoration modalities. There added benefit (though more money) is that many of them are not visually to obtrusive...and...can be further tightened even after the frame is raised and over time as well...I would also add that even with a full authentic restoration of a very old and well lived in frame we will add these elements as...back-up...to overly stress and/or damaged (but repaired) joinery. This also puts the PE and clients minds at ease when a frame may be subjected to another couple hundred years (or more) of use and occupation...

In closing, I don't think (without virtually writing a book...LOL) I could really get into all this frame probably will need to be safe to use again, as there are just to many things I don't know and can't determine from just a forum post. However, we are a very supportive community, and want you to succeed. As such, do keep asking "basic quesitons" and you will get a spectrum of advise for your efforts. Please also feel free to send me an email if you want to explore this in more detail offline...

Good Luck,

j