Originally Posted By: Nsherve
Thanks for the quick replies.

Hello Nate,

You are most welcome...

Thanks for coming to the Timber Framers Guild to ask your questions...

...she's having it checked out (I work overseas, so not home for it)...

I am more at ease now that I know the structure isn't at some risk of fire.

Please do make sure your wife has a professional check the alarms that is supported and/or recommended by NFPA or local Fire Department.

I would also add that most Fire Department do this extremely well for free or a modest tax deductible donation in most areas I have lived and worked. I would strongly recommend she reach out to them first because they don't have anything to "sell" and only would be interested in the architecture and her safety.

I would also add, if these are modern detectors (and they should be) that these will detect gasses as well that could be infiltrating the home. Some even alarm for Radon and related materials, including molds, dust concentrates, etc. Good alarms may go off annoyingly...but that's better than the alternative...

Have any of you (or any you know) done this?

...not only the foundation check part, but the whole deal (building TF on a SF foundation)?

Yes, and/or know of a number examples of repurposing and conversions over the decades...

Barn to home, encapsulation modalites, addition buttressing of current architecture, etc. All can add considerable intrinsic value to current architecture, as well as aesthetic if designed well.

Regards,

j

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 07/01/18 06:02 PM.