Originally Posted By: Cecile en Don Wa
...It's not subject to speculation or opinion because the figures are kept and according to Hannes this kind of construction makes up about 0,01 percent of all construction...

LOL...As "wordy" as I can be...I still failed to clarify the difference between comparative amounts built in the contemporary to other forms of construction...and...consistent, unbroken knowledge base within the craft and regional varablities as well...

I would not argue we don't now have the Lion's share of construction. Of course we don't as what we do isn't industrialized...however the popularity is growing, along with more interest in it each year and appreciation for it...

...I believe that the German case represents the high end as well...

Before I disagree emphatically...I should ask why you think this is the case with your understanding of the craft?

Do you know the actual comparatives in all the European countries from actual observation, correspondence, intense study, client feedback, or other more in depth examination?

Have you studied visited and/or corresponded with practitioners from other countries, and again for how long?

How many cultures have you visited, studied and for how long?

...When the population a species of animal reaches a similar decline we speak of it as extinct...

Being a Zoology-Ethology major in college and having worked as a Field Ecologist, Husbandrist and Zookeeper I am sorry that isn't correct at all...

Extinct means...goan...nonexistent...no forms found in the wild or captivity. Unless clearly designated extinct in wild populations only.

So, if you are making a comparative between timber framing and animals...Timber framing isn't even "threatened" or "rare." To suggest that is obtuse.

Using the "animal" comparative metaphor would place timber framing into the class of variably site specific in population density. Just today I walked a street to a restoration project where over 70% of the homes are timber framed. I can suggest you take a "google earth tour of rural Japan or Korea...where that number is in the 90% to 100% number and new structures in many region of these countries can reach 50% to 80% depending on location...Similar number in parts of China, Madagascar, Indonesian, India...and so on...

... so I disagree with both Tim's idea of a resuscitation and Jay's of a continuation. My sense is more of an externally induced life support condition. ...

That, at best, is a very unsubstantiated opinion, and not grounded on a globale, let alone regionally specific perspective of the craft either historically or in the contemporary...

Tim's viewpoint of "resuscitation" is very accurate in many regards but belaboring those examples would make this post "wordy" that it already is...LOL...We can agree to disagree on this point, as you love the craft and so do the rest of us...That's what's important! Just by you practicing it is a win-win from my perspective!!

Regards,

j