Originally Posted By: Jay White Cloud
If going down the "purest route" I totally understand your perspective and more than support it...Good for ya in keeping those skills alive...

If the primary goal is efficient and effective squaring of a log bolt into a useful timber for a project but do not want or have a way to get them to a mill logistically or for fiscal constrictions...the method offered in last post is (by far) the fastest and most accurate method of bringing a bolt of any species to square or other geometric shape...in my experience with a multitude of hewing methods (historical and/or contemporary.)

Regards,

j

It's neither the one nor the other.
Grabbing the chainsaw, it could be any cross cut saw but ok, to speed things along is fine but it does mean flipping the stem an extra time and getting it rightly aligned, making more or less sense depending on conditions innumerable, difficult to quantify. I always think its critical to set the log fast with dogs, line out perimeters of its beam inside and then cut two vertical and parallel sides without disturbing the log's position, no simple task that. It's another way of saying, is the method ideological or are there also practical reasons.Still I do count myself among those practitioners choosing a slightly different way of working than the one calculated in conventional terms.