I am beginning to think that in one way or that other way there is something to the claim that robinia, (black locust) is more abrasive than average. Way back at the beginning it struck me how blindingly polished the bevels of the axes were coming of the wood after working it and do find that frequent sharpening makes the work go markedly better, but then again doesn't it always.
Dave, I guess you are talking about the one that is unique to the Dutch and is called here a snik. Steekbijl is the Dutch name for what the Germans call strossaxt the Scandinavians call Stikkøksa French a demi bisaigue. While they're known in the Netherlands you would sooner find a carpenter with a slick than one of these. Not that a snik is so common but I do come across them from time to time usually associated with wind-mill construction. It is hard to find much on internet so I post over some examples Foto: Roald Renmælmo
http://igem.adlibsoft.com/wwwopacx/wwwop...8jwco5e0rkT.jpg
Two years back I came across two nice ones up for sale but passed up the chance to get them in my grubby hands.

Last edited by Cecile en Don Wa; 09/04/18 06:51 AM.