In the visible photo there are two sniks, the upper one is really the standard form in every way, cutting edge length, grip, composition... the second one is pretty unique being so broad like that. These are from a collection in Sweden all made by the same tool maker out of Amsterdam in the 17th century so the condition they are in is exceptional. I would be curious to know, if examples of sniks are found in New York is the axe also known? These axes, obvious relation to the snik, are also uniquely Dutch in character dating from similar time.
The snik from the link is with a right angle tang set in a wood grip, the economy version and nowhere near as nice as the forged grips.
As for the name, I wont say steekbijl is wrong, just sloppy and I see it used in that way sometimes. Obviously the tools are related, steekbijl derived very likely from the snik as a reduced version.
Both the snik and axe like that are associated with wind-mill building and/or boat building more so than regular carpentry.